The Mozilla Location Service (MLS) is an open service which lets devices determine their location based on network infrastructure like WiFi access points and cell towers. This network based location service complements satellite based navigation systems like A-GPS. Combined these two approaches are one of the foundations for enabling context aware applications.
You can get more info about Mozilla Location Service (MLS) : MLS
P.S : Slides
How to download and use the Mozilla Stumbler app :
1.Go to Play Store and search for Mozilla Stumbler .
2. Click download and install the app :
Download Mozilla Stumbler : Download
3. Open the app :
4. Go to settings. In the settings make sure to enter you nickname and e-mail address (it will help us to track your personal observations)
5. Before turning the scanning on. Make sure you have turned ON your WiFi and GPS(location)
6. Now go to the app and turn on the scanning :
7. The scanning is on now…. So when you travel the Wi-Fi and cell location are collected. On the map you can observe various colored symbols like :
Each symbol has it’s own meaning…. Which can be seen here :
8. To upload your observation, just connect to the internet and click on the upload button:
9. You can see you metrics :
Current session : The no. Of current observation you are collecting can be observed.
Already sent : The observation which are already uploaded can be observed.
Ready to send : The no of reports which are ready to be uploaded.
10. You can see your rank and no. Of reports submitted on the leaderboard :